a-ha podcast | Ranking Highs and Lows

Kein Problem Peter :five: , after all these years...I forget names too :elchgrin:

Well, as long as we remember the names Martin, Magnus and Phil we're all good :elchgrin:

I was also a member of the Hamburger fanclub from around 1990 to 1996-ish and a year or so with the Berliner Fanclub as well. Excellent sources of information for anyone living in a country where news of (or TV performances by) a-ha were few and far between.

• I was also a member of the Hamburger fanclub from around 1990 to 1996-ish and a year or so with the Berliner Fanclub as well. Excellent sources of information for anyone living in a country where news of (or TV performances by) a-ha were few and far between.

Die Leute dort waren die Helden meiner Jugend gewesen. :hei: Vor 2 Jahren hatte ich mit einer ehemaligen Verantwortlichen vom Berliner FC einen kurzen Austausch per Mail und dabei wurde mir gratuliert, dass ich im Endeffekt den Übergang in die Internetwelt für die a-ha Fanbase aktiv begleitet habe.

Unterstütze das a-ha-Forum mit einem Einkauf bei AMAZON :danke:

Die Leute dort waren die Helden meiner Jugend gewesen. :hei: Vor 2 Jahren hatte ich mit einer ehemaligen Verantwortlichen vom Berliner FC einen kurzen Austausch per Mail und dabei wurde mir gratuliert, dass ich im Endeffekt den Übergang in die Internetwelt für die a-ha Fanbase aktiv begleitet habe.

Well, at least I've been following this forum since... the beginning, I think! This one and another German forum (called something related to MEMS?) were my go-to forums around the Comeback in 2000, but the other one disappeared at one point.

Without this forum I wouldn't have been half as well-informed as I feel now :D

• Hi Sofia,

Excellent archiving work!! 😄 I can’t believe I got the name wrong after 30 years 😂 Thanks a lot for clarifying. I might even be wrong when it comes to remembering if it was that article where Box On The Air was mentioned?? 🤔 In my mind I see three different articles from BRAVO that each could be the right one…

Sorry Andreas! 😵‍💫😄

My plan was to check about Box On The Air too, but I got distracted going through the articles and then I was so glad I found that one about the guys from the fanclub that I forgot about the other one! :P I will have to check again. ;)

I am new here and still getting the hang of this, and I am sorry I can't write German. Like Morten says and Peter has already quoted, ich habe es vergessen! In fact, I could never really write or speak Deutsch, but I can more or less understand it. :S

I'll be back with the missing info, I hope.

Grüße!

• Hi Sofia,

Fantastic! Thanks a lot. Again, I'm quite sure the article was from around the Headlines & Deadlines time, 1991/1992. I will go as far as to say that it's a single page article (don't hold me to it!) and there's very likely a picture of Morten with long hair.

I'll have a look as well :)

VG

Peter

• You remember it quite well! Yes, the reference to "Box on the Air" is in the same article, I didn't realise that yesterday because I was in a hurry and didn't read the last part! 8o And yes, it was announced as part of a greatest hits record (Headlines and Deadlines), together with another track named "Reality"... Not "Bar Room". :/ You (? or was it Jesper or Jens?) must have read the reference to Bar Room somewhere else. (I really don't know if you are JP or Peter the moderator, sorry! :P )

I didn't read that article back then, or any article from the 90s. I had completely (or almost) lost track of a-ha in the 90s. ;( I got those BRAVO articles only a few years ago and I hadn't read them all yet, so I didn't know about any of the stuff mentioned. It was a good excuse to read them now. :thumbsup:

I could post a picture of it, but I don't know if it is allowed and I don't know how to do it...

• Hi Sofia,

Half of a memory tells half a story! Of course, it was Reality, not Bar Room!!! How could I forget? That just makes it even worse, because where on Earth is the Reality demo then?!?!

Bar Room was - I think, but I’ve stopped making guarantees now! - mentioned in an article in Norwegian newspaper VG. Andreas also saw it somewhere else (see a previous post).

And sorry for the confusion with the names. My name is Jens Peter, here on the Forum my username has always been Peter, but friends mostly call me JP for short. So in the podcast and on the blog I’m JP. It’s easy to tell me apart from Jesper on the podcast/blog as I’m the one who is right about the quality of the songs whenever we have a disagreement 😄

And to make matters worse we also have Peter The Producer, which is another reason why it’s easier to call me JP.

You’ve made my day with your Bravo archaeology, although I’m gutted about forgetting Reality!

Best,

Jens Peter/Peter aus Dänemark/JP

Edited once, last by Peter ().

• Very interesting discussion.

I was also a member of the Hamburg-based a-ha fanclub back then, and I am pretty sure Bar Room was announced in their magazine as well.

Regarding Reality, Box on the Air...:

I'm a bit puzzled now since, if I remember it correctly, the people behind the Facebook Campaign for more remastered deluxes claimed there were no additional unreleased tracks from the Memorial Beach era, apart from Bar Room. I think a title called Minneapolis traffic or so had been circulating online, and when the deluxe came out in 2015, some people asked why only Bar Room was included on the second disc.

Strange, strange. In additon, I am 100% convinced that, in 1987 or 1988 or so, the Hamburg fanclub magazine wrote something like "Paul has written two new songs, Cold River and So lonely."

• I wasn’t a member of the Hamburg fanclub until late 1990 so the mention of “So Lonely” was before my time, but now that you bring it up it sounds strangely familiar 🤔

Wouldn’t it be great to spend a week in a-ha’s or Pål’s vaults? 😄 And then another day to just ask Pål about the songs. I dream myself alive here (although that’s more of a Magne song…)

• Hi JP!

Good to know who I am talking with. I didn't know if it was you or Peter the Producer. :) I will have to check if you are really the one who is right about the quality of the songs, though. ^^

You are right, Reality brought us another problem. 8o As they mention those two new tracks as part of the coming Greatest Hits album, I thought maybe one of them could be the working title of Move To Memphis. Who knows? Paul must know, we should ask him. ;)

I am very sorry I wasn't a member of any fanclub back then and was therefore completely in the dark. I have been trying hard to catch up on everything I missed.

You are right, Reality brought us another problem. 8o As they mention those two new tracks as part of the coming Greatest Hits album, I thought maybe one of them could be the working title of Move To Memphis. Who knows? Paul must know, we should ask him. ;)

Hi Sofia,

yes, that could very well be. Or even the working title of some of the songs that ended up on Memorial Beach. That's the frustrating part: For Pål it might just have been a song he was working on and later discarded. For fans it becomes a sort of "enigma" that can take mythological status :D

And btw: It seems like you've caught up quite well!!!

• Hallo liebe a-ha-Freunde!

Episode 5 of "Ranking Highs and Lows" is available now!

In the fifth episode of Ranking Highs and Lows where we rank 147 a-ha songs from the worst to the best we this time count down from 50 to 26. In other words are now ready to reveal the first batch of songs we have found worthy of a place in the mythic top 50!

In this episode we encounter a song that both of us like but for quite different reasons, we run into some serious compromises and discuss which version of a song is the right one to rank. We also come across some big hits, discuss the importance of the production of a song, find out if there is such a thing as “The Waaktaar-Savoy School for the Brokenhearted” and uncover which colour palette seems to dominate a-ha song titles.

This episode also features the tale of when we met Morten and reminded him of songs he possibly had forgotten about, we discuss how far down the word “funky” is on the list of adjectives that describe a-ha, and we bask in the pride you can feel as a fan when an a-ha song does well on the charts. All this and much more awaits you as we get close to the top 25.

As always you can find us in your favourite podcast app if you just search for "a-ha Ranking Highs and Lows", or you can simply click here: https://www.spreaker.com/show/a-ha-ranking-highs-and-lows. It's 82 minutes of pure a-ha related content for your listening pleasure!

In case you prefer to read rather than listen or just want to check out the list again in written form then check out our blog where we go through the ranking in writing and sometimes add a bit more detail to some of the rankings. Both formats complement each other quite well, we think. In the blog you can find previous parts of the ranking as well. Check it out here: https://www.rankingaha.dk/

And of course: Please take the opportunity to join the discussion about our ranking here on Facebook where we’d love to hear your thoughts: http://www.facebook.com/rankingaha. We appreciate each and every comment we have had so far!

And of course you can lie down in darkness and check out all the songs from the ranking on our Spotify playlist as well:
    https://sptfy.com/rankingaha

Hoffentlich gefällt's euch!

Viele Grüsse,

Peter (JP in the podcast and the blog)

• Overall, I pretty much agree with your ranking here...

Lie down in darkness was, in my eyes, the coolest track when MB came out and I was so angry that they did not perform it live, but I must admit that it has somehow lost relevance for me a bit. So I fully agree to you here although I would have put it a bit higher than 48, and for sure higher than A Break in the clouds, Barely hanging on.

Shadow Endeavours is a strange song. At first place, I didn't like it because Morten - once more - sings too high. But it is one of the few songs fom cast in Steel which has remained interesting over time.

Great you have the super cool The blood that moves the body on number 26. I have just listened the Hits South America live version on vinyl. Genious.

• Hi again,

We always enjoy your feedback, thecompanyman because we agree :D Except for the part about ABITC which I think was extremely beautiful at the MTV session and one they could do something fantastic with. And Barely Hanging On is just a personal favorite - maybe because it stands out a bit from the rest of the MEMS songs (overall, at least).

Shadow Endeavours is just so cool! I agree that it's extremely high pitched, and I am not sure I'd like to hear it played live =O But I really think it's one of the most interesting pieces they have done since 2000. It's not THE best of the 2nd coming, not at all, but it has something that grabs my attention in the production. And I love the "Let us pay no mind..." part.

TBTMTB is simply a cool song, right? But commercially it probably suffered from not having a real chorus, which is something a-ha has done repeatedly. That can be great for the song itself, but it's rarely a commercially wise choise.

Well, only 25 more songs to go ;)

Best,

Peter

• Platz 42 - SMO - Die Fan-Aktion von "MTV Select" war so lustig gewesen und ich habe das Video unzählige Mal gesehen, Interlude-Classic :volldoll: und auch die Aufregung von Jesper am Telefon war total zu hören :yes: , aber wann hat man schon mal seine Helden :kniefall: am Telefon . - leider ist das Video nicht mehr auf YouTube zu finden.

Das Comeback von a-ha, berichtet während "Mary Ellen..." war nicht in NÜRNBERG, sondern in DUISBURG gewesen - Ich war damals außerhalb der Halle gewesen und bekam nach der Show meine SMO-CD (noch vor der Veröffentlichung) von allen Drei unterschrieben.

35. How sweet it was - von Beginn an einer meiner Lieblingssongs - ich war froh ihn 2006 in Berlin "once in a lifetime" unterm Funkturm LIVE gehört zu haben. GREAT :thatsit:

30. Crying in the rain - Ich war zum Geburtstag bei Mitschülern von mir zur Party geladen, genau an dem Abend lief die Welt-Premiere bei "Wetten dass...?" in Saarbrücken. Irgendwie schaffte ich es den Fernseher im Hintergrund laufen zu lassen und bei a-ha durfte ich den Ton anschalten. Niemand außer mir mochte a-ha bis dato, aber mit diesem Song änderte sich vieles und plötzlich war a-ha auch bei den coolen Mädchen und Jungs als schöner Song akzeptiert. :headbanger:

26. The Weight of the Wind - Ich liebe den Song und liebe diese Live-Version während der 93-Tour auch total :five:

Auf YouTube gibt es diese Aufnahme aus Hamburg zu finden.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Unterstütze das a-ha-Forum mit einem Einkauf bei AMAZON :danke:

• "Morten singt mit Fans" gibt es hier (inkl "interlude"):

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Peter: Great work. Thoroughly enjoy listen to your podcast and agreeing/disagreeing with the ranking. The only bad thing about it is that there is only one episode to go.

• Fantastic that you already knew about the "And then there's an interlude..." :D I'll make sure to tell Jesper that his performance in the show has crossed over to our good friends south of the border as well. And thanks for sycamore for digging the out the clip. Otherwise I was going to do it because we just re-watched it today after someone commented on YouTube (our FIRST YouTube comment) that they had seen the "interlude" clip back then and was totally excited that we were the ones behind it! Well, I can't (and won't) take credit for it. That's Jesper's time to shine :) But I do remember that he was super excited and we talked about it a lot back then. We'd known each other for maybe three years at that time and a-ha friends were "few and far between" so it was great to share the excitement :)

The Nürnberg comment during the Mary Ellen part I think was just Jesper trying to find a Germany city that started with N like New York :) I don't think any of us remember exactly where in Germany it took place - incl. the recording of the album - but I do remember being a bit jealous of all you German fans with ARD, ZDF, RTL, the hundreds of radio stations etc. That's why this Forum was so awesome!

How Sweet It Was: We are at that same concert in Berlin together with another friend who's also an a-ha fan. I remember us not being at all impressed with the first half of the show which seemed uninspired, the audience seemed disengaged, the performance of the songs were so-so - even How Sweet It Was which should have been a real treat! So we were a bit disappointed at first. But I also remember a feeling of relief when the performance slowly picked up and in the end it was a good experience. I just think the SETLIST was better than the actual CONCERT :) But I would love for a-ha to pick up HSIW, LTTS, EOTS and TWOTW again. Even CP would be good to hear live again even if it's not my biggest favourite. Sadly I think they need to lay DITN to rest as I don't think Morten's voice can carry it all the way anymore :(

Crying In the Rain: I had a similar experience but just with a re-run of a radio programme focusing on Nordic music. They played HHAL and TLD from Rock In Rio II and the re-run was broadcasted around 02:00 during the night of my graduation from elementary school. I simply had to leave the party early and go home, sleep on a mattress in our living room with my ghetto blaster next to me so that I could record the two songs and the interview in the middle of the night. It was shortly after the cancellation of what should have been my first ever a-ha concert in Copenhagen (exactly 1 week before the Rock in Rio II concert) so I HAD to tape it. Similarly actually with SMO from Nobel in 1998. I had to leave a dinner party for a short while to go and watch and videotape the performance :) I remember at first not being convinced about SMO but it didn't take more than a few repeated listens before it hit bullseye!

The Weight of the Wind: Yes, it's just such a fantastic song - also in the 1993 acoustic version! Really, really awesome track!

Thanks for all the comments :)

Peter

Great work. Thoroughly enjoy listen to your podcast and agreeing/disagreeing with the ranking. The only bad thing about it is that there is only one episode to go.

Thanks a lot sycamore That's really nice of you! And yes, it's a real shame that there's only one more episode to go. We do have some ideas for a possible season 2, so maybe there is more to come. But first there will be... an interlude :D